The Thin Films and Surfaces Group, established in 1969, aims to stimulate and support this study by organizing meetings and conferences at which scientists from both academic and industrial environments can come together to discuss the most recent advances.
The Group's general fields of interest are:
- The electronic, vibrational and structural aspects of clean surfaces and of surfaces with thin adlayer
- The characterisation of surfaces and interfaces of materials of technological interest by a wide variety of physical and chemical techniques
- The preparation and growth of thin films and multilayers, and the study of their structural, physical and chemical properties
- Development and evaluation of new techniques, and the extension of existing ones, for the characterisation of thin films and surfaces
- Reactions at surfaces, including molecule surface interactions, adsorption/desorption phenomena, surface dynamics and chemical reactions